This past Saturday, we had our first childbirth class. It was an all day class (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM) that covered labor and delivery. We learned all about labor signs, how to cope during contractions and we watched three birth videos (a natural delivery, an epidural delivery and a C-section delivery). It was pretty intense but contained a bunch of helpful information. Luke and I are now experts! :) It was helpful to hear about the early signs of labor and to understand what our options are in terms of medication, etc.
During the class, we did an exercise that was supposed to simulate the discomfort of a contraction and how to try to relax through it. We had to squeeze an ice cube in our hand for a minute while our "partner" (Luke) tried to help us relax. It was awful! Holding an ice cube for that long is super painful and it made me realize how low my pain threshold really is. If I can't hold an ice cube in my hand for ONE MINUTE, how the heck am I going to make it through labor?! I am leaning towards getting the epidural for sure.
Luke and I were the only couple from the U.S. in the class. There were couples there from all over the world - Africa, China, India, etc. - very diverse! It was fun to hear the different perspectives on labor and delivery, newborn care, etc.
At the very end of the class, we were given a tour of the childbirth center. It was incredible! The childbirth center was recently renovated and I could not be happier about where we will get to meet little Henry for the first time. All of the rooms are private and include a bed, rocking chair, birthing ball and tub. The lights are dimmed and they have a flat screen TV. I keep thinking about that room and how relaxing it looks. It will be perfect. I plan to labor at home as much as possible before heading to the hospital but it's nice to know that we will enjoy the room once we get there.
Overall, it was a helpful class. We were supposed to have a second class on Sunday to learn about newborn care but I ended up having a family emergency so we are finishing the class on November 30th.
Only about a month to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment